moon dreams

moon dreams
photo by Jeni Ferguson

Saturday, January 12, 2013

messages


woke up this morning and felt energized. cleaned , scrubbed, mopped the entire kitchen. All the while contemplating the conversation I had with my teen daughter the previous evening. She is angry and sad that our life has changed. Even though she loves the new house and understands why we had to leave the old one....She still longs for her "Home" where she took her first steps and said her first words . She misses the large yard and the tire swing. How can I fill that void here and make this feel more like home...I pondered all this while cleaning. I then decided to bake. I made banana bread because the bananas needed to be used. When I picked up the recipe book ...a card fell out...my great grandmother's  doughnut recipe. I remember as a child that yummy goodness , racing to the kitchen to be the first one to try the new batch. just the smell of them cooking made me smile. I remember on halloween , all the kids in the neighborhood wanted Nannie's doughnuts. I used to make them when the girls were small, and they would smile when they smelled them cooking. I have not made them in about 4 years, It's hard to bake love when you are sad and lost. So I began to mix a batch...and the kids could smell them cooking....and they raced to the kitchen to be the first one to try the new batch....and the smiles on their faces ...yeah i know that feeling...love, home, memories, all in a bite flooding through the brain creating happiness. Nannie's doughnuts may not be the answer to everything, but I think it was a good start to making "Home" right here in our hearts. Thanks Nannie for the reminder that it is the small things we do that make a big difference in the lives of those we love.

1 comment:

  1. YUM!! The doughnuts look delicious. I think I can taste them all the way over here..

    ReplyDelete