moon dreams

moon dreams
photo by Jeni Ferguson

Friday, March 15, 2013

calvary cemetary



Calvary Cemetary NYC
photo by Jeni Ferguson
I spent last weekend in NYC, wandering the Calvary Cemetary. It is the first cemetary I have been in that actually felt like sacred ground. When you enter the gates , the noises of the city seem hushed. I could feel the quiet serenity surround me with a melancholy cloak of peace. Wandering the stones , reading the stories of lives long past, soaking in the beauty and artistry of the stones.

wondering at the humanity inscribed in marble. One could believe in miracles in this space. stepping outside time, a feeling of infinity.

and sadness at the neglect of ancestors' rest, families long forgotten, their descendants not knowing or caring from whence their blood was born. as I travelled deeper into the sanctuary I could almost believe that vampires roamed the grounds

artistic castles built to house souls who never see. still wondering what the heavy chains and padlocks are keeping inside......

1 comment:

  1. A cemetery's always peaceful, just don't ask me to wander around it at night....

    ReplyDelete